[Box Backup] Additional information for Volume Snapshot Service (Shadow Copy)

Matthieu Patou boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Wed, 24 Jun 2009 21:54:47 +0400

On 06/24/2009 10:14 AM, Chris Wilson wrote:
> Hi Achim,
>
> On Tue, 23 Jun 2009, Achim wrote:
>
>> Meanwhile, in a licensing discussion over at the BackupPC list, it
>> turns out (according to Leen, one of the original authors) that
>> perhaps the "SDK just includes the include and library-files the
>> compiler needs to know how to build it" [1].
>>
>> This would probably eliminate the issue anyway for GPL and BSD, as the
>> libraries are then part of the OS and not a separate download.
>
> It doesn't eliminate the issue for GPL, because Microsoft's license
> explicitly forbids linking any of their code against GPL code and
> distributing the resulting binaries. However, BSD code does not fall
> under that restriction.
>
> It's against the spirit of the GPL because it requires users to download
> and use non-free software to rebuild their free software, in addition to
> the non-free OS which they already have.
>
> Cheers, Chris.

I'm wondering how bacula do it with this limitation ?
Because they are compiling with this library and their code is GPL.

I reread the licence for the VSS SDK and it's not really clear the
licence for those two libes in the lib directory (vss_uuid.lib and
vss_api.lib)

Matthieu.