[Box Backup] Extended attributes on FreeBSD

Chris Wilson boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Mon, 2 Mar 2009 22:25:18 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Victor,

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009, Victor Meirans wrote:

> I'm doing a fresh install on FreeBSD 7.1, latest boxbackup code from
> trunk (2448). The question is: how to enable extended attributes support
> during configure

You will need a sys/xattr.h file, probably in /usr/include or
/usr/local/include. I'd be quite surprised if FreeBSD didn't include that
by default, as I gather it has better support for extended attributes than
Linux does. In any case, if configure detects the [l]listxattr and
[l]getxattr functions, it will use them, even if they are not defined in
sys/xattr.h and configure reports "Extended attributes: no".

> and how crucial it is for best operation? What difference it makes going
> with it or without?

The only difference is that any extended attributes that you have applied
to your backed-up files (including POSIX ACLs) will not be backed up, nor
will any extended attributes be restored from the repository.