[Box Backup] Extended attributes on FreeBSD

Victor Meirans boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Tue, 03 Mar 2009 01:56:16 +0200

Hi Chris,

on 2009.03.03 0:25 Chris Wilson said the following:

>> I'm doing a fresh install on FreeBSD 7.1, latest boxbackup code from
>> trunk (2448). The question is: how to enable extended attributes
>> support during configure
>
> You will need a sys/xattr.h file, probably in /usr/include or
> /usr/local/include. I'd be quite surprised if FreeBSD didn't include
> that by default, as I gather it has better support for extended
> attributes than Linux does. In any case, if configure detects the
> [l]listxattr and [l]getxattr functions, it will use them, even if they
> are not defined in sys/xattr.h and configure reports "Extended
> attributes: no".

It included by default since FreeBSD v.5.1 I think, one just has to turn
it on for selected filesystems.

>> and how crucial it is for best operation? What difference it makes
>> going with it or without?
>
> The only difference is that any extended attributes that you have
> applied to your backed-up files (including POSIX ACLs) will not be
> backed up, nor will any extended attributes be restored from the
> repository.

Oh. I thought bbstored sets some extended attributes to the repository
itself... :)

Thank you for answer. Since mostly Windows workstations will be backed
up I think I can go without the support of extended attributes.

--
ViC