[Box Backup] Configurable syslog facility

Kenny Millington boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Tue, 24 Mar 2009 17:08:38 +0000

Hi,

> I do wish maintainers would try to push stuff upstream instead of just
> distributing their code with a random local patches and then forgetting
> about them.

Sorry, the way I originally phrased that might have been a tad unfair.
As a first port of call I e-mailed the maintainer to suggest a use case
for local6. His reply was to contact the box dev list to suggest it be
user-configurable. (I was going to anyway, but thought I'd do things in
the maintainer --> upstream order.)

As far as Debian/Ubuntu goes LOG_DAEMON is "right" in the majority of
cases, just not when using LogAllFileAccess to report on since it
clutters the logs somewhat.

> It may not help you much, but I've just added this facility to trunk. In
> the Server section of your config file, specify LogFacility = LOCAL6.
> (although since it's the default in source distributions, you don't
> actually need to in this case).

I take it this means it'll hit 0.12 - whenever that is? ;)

Thanks alot for making the change though!

--
Kenny Millington
Systems Developer

3aIT Limited - Official Corporate Sponsor of the British Bobsleigh Team

4-10 Barttelot Rd   Horsham   West Sussex   RH12 1DQ
CoReg: 3866698   VATReg: 771388600
T: +44 (0)870 881 5097   F: +44 (0)870 116 0793

Visit www.3aIT.co.uk for Design, Systems, Support

Disclaimer:
The information contained within this email is confidential and may
be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying or
distribution of this email is prohibited and may be unlawful. The
content of this email represents the views of the individual and not
necessarily 3aIT Limited.  3aIT Limited reserves the right to monitor
the content of all emails in accordance with lawful business
practice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure that attachments are
free from computer viruses before transmission, 3aIT Limited does not
accept any liability in respect of any virus that is not detected.