[IWE] UPDATE

Jay Burns IV iwe@warhead.org.uk
Thu, 08 Feb 2007 21:27:42 -0600

--------------070900010906080103070203

Andrew-

Thanks for the clarifications.  I'll give it a try.

jb4

Andrew Grygus wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 21:21:05 -0600, Jay Burns IV wrote:
>
> First you need to go into the D-Link and find out from "status" what
> its IP address is on the WAN. That may change if the connection is
> interrupted for some time so if the connection stops working later
> check it again. To get in, use your Web browser and go to the
> gateway address (http://192.168.0.1).  D-Link login name and
> passward are proably admin/[none] or admin/admin.
>
> Next turn off DHCP. Most home routers can't handle both port
> forwarding and DHCP at the same time, and you'll really want a
> static IP on your inside machine anyway.
>
> Give your computer a static IP. I usually use one outside the DHCP
> range just in case DHCP gets turned on again later. Your DHCP
> range is 100 on up, probably to 150. Lets say you set your PC to
> 192.168.0.44.
>
> Next, knowing the port you need to forward (see BP posts), set it to
> forward both type of traffic for that port to 192.168.0.44. I don't
> remember the exact D-Link menus but they'll have it there somewhere.
>
> Now, when you set up the SSH connection from work you tell it
> to connect to the WAN IP address reported by your router, not the
> 192.168.0.44 address which is not routable on the Internet. When
> the router gets a request to the forwarded port it will pass that request
> through to the computer at address 192.168.0.44.  Only the WAN
> address of the router is visible from the Internet.
>

>> The cable modem is a Motorola Surfboard, in the 5000 series.   So it is
>> not a router per se (at least, it doesn't appear to be).  The router is
>> directly wired to the Surfboard; it is a D-Link DI-624 wireless router.,
>> It does present a private LAN on the back side; it is set up to be a
>> DHCP server, and gives my computer an IP address of 168.192.0./x/, where
>> x is generally 100 or 101. Its DHCP server address is 168.192.0.1.  That
>> address is also set up as my default gateway.
>>
>> When you say "program a port forward to your computer's IP and address
>> the router's WAN address from the outside", exactly what do you mean?
>>
> m educable, though, so any ideas on how to do that?  The

--------------070900010906080103070203

<head>
</head>
Thanks for the clarifications.&nbsp; I'll give it a try.<br>
jb4<br>

gateway address (<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://192.168.0.1">http://192.168.0.1</a>).  D-Link login name and
[...]

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">The cable modem is a Motorola Surfboard, in the 5000 series.   So it is

  <pre wrap=""><!---->m educable, though, so any ideas on how to do that?  The