[IWE] Solaris 10 exploit alert

Wade Bowmer iwe@warhead.org.uk
Tue, 13 Feb 2007 08:05:11 +1000

On 2/12/2007, "Peter Whysall" <peter.whysall@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On 12 Feb 2007, at 18:49, williamoxley@aim.com wrote:
>
>> if telnet is available
>> telnet -l "-fbin" sun.box.com
>> I am now on your box. works for everyone but root
>
>Telnet? Do people still use that? How quaint.
>
>More germane to your point, is it installed by default on Solaris 10?

AFAIK, telnet is widespread in corporate Unix environments. HP-UX used to
install telnet by default. It may still.

I did some contracting a few years ago for a government department that
needed a firewall upgrade for a private internet. Whilst capable, their
HP-UX administrator was way behind the times, but merely by
circumstance: she used  Windows on her desktop and Reflection to telnet
to HP-UX. She was unaware of Linux's ability and stature in the
marketplace and was professionally disinterested in finding out more. It
was weird.

Wade.