[IWE] Howard Slams Obama

Ben Tilly iwe@warhead.org.uk
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 17:09:33 -0800

On 2/12/07, Wade Bowmer <static@yceran.org> wrote:
> On 2/12/2007, "Ben Tilly" <btilly@gmail.com> wrote:
> >He's also demonstrated himself to be innumerate.  (Or at least that he
> >hopes others are.)  He claims that Australia has a smaller force there
> >because it has a smaller population.  But if he wanted Australia's
> >contribution to be commesurate with its population, he'll need to send
> >an additional 8000 troops.  As it stands Australia's contribution
> >relative to its size is only about 15% of what the US is giving.
>
> I hadn't heard that one, but I don't doubt you're right. It hasn't
> been raised in Australian media that I've heard, which may be just a
> matter of time.

Well I calculated it off of the basis of the fact that the USA has 300
million people and 140,000 troops in Iraq, Australia has 20 million
people and 1400 troops in Iraq.  The troop sizes are quoted in the BBC
article, the population estimates are easily verified online.

> Another point that occurred to me this morning was whether Mr Howard was
> addressing Australia with his comment or the US. The news reports I can
> find are unclear on the intent. Not that that would make much difference
> in the age of global telecommunications, but still...

I do not presume to be able to read Mr Howard's mind.

Cheers,
Ben