[IWE] Howard Slams Obama

Wade Bowmer iwe@warhead.org.uk
Tue, 13 Feb 2007 09:06:01 +1000

On 2/12/2007, "Ben Tilly" <btilly@gmail.com> wrote:

>You forget how much Bush rewards loyalty.  Also if any other
>democratic nominee gets in, they may not view this action so
>negatively (or even remember it).  So he is getting sure support now
>for a relatively small risk of problems in a couple of years.  Which
>isn't such a bad tradeoff.

That's a good reading. I _had_ forgotten how much Bush rewards loyalty.

>He's also demonstrated himself to be innumerate.  (Or at least that he
>hopes others are.)  He claims that Australia has a smaller force there
>because it has a smaller population.  But if he wanted Australia's
>contribution to be commesurate with its population, he'll need to send
>an additional 8000 troops.  As it stands Australia's contribution
>relative to its size is only about 15% of what the US is giving.

I hadn't heard that one, but I don't doubt you're right. It hasn't
been raised in Australian media that I've heard, which may be just a
matter of time.

Another point that occurred to me this morning was whether Mr Howard was
addressing Australia with his comment or the US. The news reports I can
find are unclear on the intent. Not that that would make much difference
in the age of global telecommunications, but still...

Wade.