[IWE] Re: iwethey?

Andrew Grygus iwe@warhead.org.uk
Tue, 13 Feb 2007 23:07:53 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 21:41:37 -0800, Ben Tilly wrote:

>If this was Scott's business, I'm sure he would have been working on
>it full time.  And I'm sure that his wife would be supportive of his
>working on it because she wants him to make that money.  As things
>stand, however, it is far lower on his priority list than any
>business.
>
>Plus a sensible business that was self-hosting would devote resources
>to this that Scott has not.  Resources like a backup system and
>immediately available replacement hardware.
>
>(Disclaimer, every company that I've worked for has successsively
>self-hosted themselves.  And successfully dealt with all sorts of
>minor and major hardware disasters.)

None of my clients can devote the staffing you imply, and only
a few have room and funding for backup servers and the like.
Simple IT matters are handled part-time by semi-skilled people
and anything complex is outsourced (to me).

In this sort of situation, typical of at least 75% of businesses in
the U.S., any problem with the Web server becomes exactly
what IWeThey is experiencing. Server issues immediately
become personal issues.

For larger, technically oriented companies such as I suspect
you have worked for, self hosting may indeed be feasable.
I do not have any clients like that and not one has a full time
IT person, not even those with over 100 employees on the
payroll have an IT person. Again, this is the situation with
the great majority of businesses.

Andrew Grygus