[IWE] Sick transit, Gloria: Money

Ashton Brown iwe@warhead.org.uk
Wed, 21 Feb 2007 02:28:54 -0800

This seems an appropriate intermission for finally considering something
about FUNDING, sans our historic vagueness, no?

How would it be if some of us would commit to a (quarterly?) stipend
towards whichever of the mentioned options is taken?
Individual amounts would reflect the model of each one's Aston Martin
(DB-2? 4? 5?) natch.
Wouldn't it just be lots better to have *some* amounts become predictable?

(Those with filled 3-car garages: pony up more than the ones on Whizzer
motorbikes in the shed. Those running Vista: 3x what the DB-5 folks toss
in - atonement for the shame of still feeding the Beast.)

I suspect that several would have contributed more / more often, were it
not for the admirable reticence of our benefactors, ever to point out
... TANSTAAFL. And, while Scott isn't doing this for recompense (and
imagine what all this work Would have cost, Out There; imagine..?
Scheisse! You. Know.) - it seems to me a bit slovenly of 'us' to
continue to rely on the tacit generosity of first - Greg and Scott
(mostly? was it not), and lately, just Scott - even for the machinery
and BW costs.  That's simply tacky.

~40ish folk have shown up with daily regularity. Maybe another 40?..
sporadically.
So then - how much organizing does it take?  Each one names a sum to be
expected, but we don't need no stinkin public scorecard.
We'd need to know (via this venue) a couple means/addresses.
(PayPal == {ugh} for some, but handy for others; checks via snail to
where? etc.)
Isn't this Peterbilt ap [that's a lorry, Peter] Secure enough for such
info == one-->way to Admin or whomever designated?

IIRC, Scott recently ponied up for the highly-vetted hardware which Greg
had earlier assembled.  Should we not try to pay that off, in
installments? as well as most/all of the overhead - presuming it's still
"Worth It" to continue this longest-running floating crap game ever seen
(in most of those other, flighty digital venues.)

(And.. while the cat which-has-selected-moi as her staff, now needs some
teeth cleaning + cyst removal, for a %shocking of the vet's boat
payment, exceeding $50/pound-of-cat ... I can manage a quarterly payment
inked into the calendar, without switching to Ramen.  There's a
restaurant a few miles up the road from here, "The French Laundry" -
where folks drop several $hundred, per diner. It's always full.)

Well ... whatcha $think?