[IWE] Any ideas on how to get GnomeBaker to use long file names?

D. Scott Katzer iwe@warhead.org.uk
Sun, 14 Jan 2007 09:27:35 -0500

Hi Hugh,

Hugh Nicholes wrote:
> I'm using the Ubuntu release of GnomeBaker to burn DVDs for backup, but
> it insists on using 8.3 file names. I've tried googling and reading the
> help files but file name size does not appear to be addressed. I've
> looked for dot files or configuration directories without success.
You apparently need the "Rock Ridge" or "Joliet" or UTF-8 or ISO-9660 or
UDF or some other gobbly-gook extensions.  I haven't found a good
discussion of what GnomeBaker is using.  I find it really hard to
believe that GnomeBaker doesn't support fairly long names.  (Each of
these extensions seems to have path and filename length limits.)

> If there isn't a way to configure long file names, is there a better
> CD/DVD burning program I could use?

I've not used GnomeBaker.  I have used K3B and it seemed to work very
well, but I don't recall doing much with it other than burning an ISO to
a CD.  It's a KDE app, but it should be easy to install on Gnome.  K3B
supports the Rock Ridge and Joliet extensions.  http://www.k3b.org/

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.