[IWE] Power Supply question

Jay Burns IV iwe@warhead.org.uk
Sat, 04 Oct 2008 17:46:06 -0500

--------------040806020105020305070803

Greetings, wizards-

I have a friend who has a Compaq thing of some kind.  It's older and it
steadfastly refuses to tell anyone what model it is  All it says on the
front is"Compaq"...no "Deskpro" or "Presario" or "Evo" or anything like
that.  Nothing on the roughly half dozen stickers with innumerable
barcodes o the back of it, either.  Its all black, in a what they call
their Compact Workstation Tower (CWT) case.  Has both a CD and DVD
reader/writer on it, and a (gasp) 5-1/2" floppy drive, too!

And it doesn't work.

At least, not for very log...You power it up, and it runs for about a
minute, just enough to get XP-Home to display the login screen (she has
logins enabled, for reasons that I will never know, and am probably
better not knowing...).  Then there appears to be an abrupt loss of
power...but not all power.  The CPU fan stops running, the video card
halts (driving the monitor to black).  But the LEDs on the network port
(it has integrated networking) continue to flicker, and the power supply
fan continues to run.

I suspect there is a power supply problem.  I haven't check ed the power
leads yet tot he MB...I'm going to do that later tonight.  However, I
had it open on got the model number off the power supply.  It's a
HP-P251GF3.  Finding a new one of these isn't easy, and the way too
expensive (between US$200 and 250; you can just about replace the entire
machine for that).  In poking around the interwebs, I found that HiPro
makes a similar supply, the 244166-001.  Much of the literature states
that this power supply will "just drop in " to a number of Compaq PCs,
mostly Presarios.  That's great, except that I may not have a Presario...

So the question I'm asking o you is, does anyone know if a HiPro
244166-001 is a direct replacement forthe massively overpriced
HP_P251GF3?  I'm pretty sure they are compatible from a plug
perspective...but I'm not sure the mounting holes and al the physical
interfaces will line up (you know how Compaq is regarding puting
standard things in non-standard places on teir boxes...simply to insure
that you'll have to buy their overpriced crap when a part fails).

Any info would be appreciated.

thanx-
jb4

--------------040806020105020305070803

<head>
</head>
I have a friend who has a Compaq thing of some kind.&nbsp; It's older and it
steadfastly refuses to tell anyone what model it is&nbsp; All it says on the
front is"Compaq"...no "Deskpro" or "Presario" or "Evo" or anything like
that.&nbsp; Nothing on the roughly half dozen stickers with innumerable
barcodes o the back of it, either.&nbsp; Its all black, in a what they call
their Compact Workstation Tower (CWT) case.&nbsp; Has both a CD and DVD
reader/writer on it, and a (gasp) 5-1/2" floppy drive, too!<br>
And it doesn't work.<br>
At least, not for very log...You power it up, and it runs for about a
minute, just enough to get XP-Home to display the login screen (she has
logins enabled, for reasons that I will never know, and am probably
better not knowing...).&nbsp; Then there appears to be an abrupt loss of
power...but not all power.&nbsp; The CPU fan stops running, the video card
halts (driving the monitor to black).&nbsp; But the LEDs on the network port
(it has integrated networking) continue to flicker, and the power
supply fan continues to run.<br>
I suspect there is a power supply problem.&nbsp; I haven't check ed the
power leads yet tot he MB...I'm going to do that later tonight.&nbsp;
However, I had it open on got the model number off the power supply.&nbsp;
It's a HP-P251GF3.&nbsp; Finding a new one of these isn't easy, and the way
too expensive (between US$200 and 250; you can just about replace the
entire machine for that).&nbsp; In poking around the interwebs, I found that
HiPro makes a similar supply, the 244166-001.&nbsp; Much of the literature
states that this power supply will "just drop in " to a number of
Compaq PCs, mostly Presarios.&nbsp; That's great, except that I may not have
a Presario...<br>
So the question I'm asking o you is, does anyone know if a HiPro
244166-001 is a direct replacement forthe massively overpriced
HP_P251GF3?&nbsp; I'm pretty sure they are compatible from a plug
perspective...but I'm not sure the mounting holes and al the physical
interfaces will line up (you know how Compaq is regarding puting
standard things in non-standard places on teir boxes...simply to insure
that you'll have to buy their overpriced crap when a part fails).<br>
Any info would be appreciated.<br>
thanx-<br>
jb4<br>

--------------040806020105020305070803--