[IWE] obama gaming fundraising limits

William Oxley iwe@warhead.org.uk
Sun, 5 Oct 2008 16:01:15 -0400

how hard is it to refuse transactions from the same credit card by
putting a key constraint via credit card numbers?
http://www.newsweek.com/id/162403
Obama spokesman Ben LaBolt said the campaign has no idea who the
individuals are and has returned all the donations, using the credit-
card numbers they gave to the campaign. (In a similar case earlier
this year, the campaign returned $33,000 to two Palestinian brothers
in the Gaza Strip who had bought T shirts in bulk from the campaign's
online store. They had listed their address as "Ga.," which the
campaign took to mean Georgia rather than Gaza.) "While no
organization is completely protected from Internet fraud, we will
continue to review our fund-raising procedures," LaBolt said. Some
critics say the campaign hasn't done enough. This summer, watchdog
groups asked both campaigns to share more information about its small
donors. The McCain campaign agreed; the Obama campaign did not. "They
could've done themselves a service" by heeding the suggestions, said
Massie Ritsch of the Center for Responsive Politics.