[IWE] "pop!" goes the chest

Nightowl iwe@warhead.org.uk
Tue, 21 Oct 2008 15:03:47 -0700 (PDT)

>>From: Jack Troughton <partial.to.music@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [IWE] "pop!" goes the chest
To: iwe@warhead.org.uk
Date: Monday, October 6, 2008, 12:37 PM
Well, that's one of the nice things about the original Alien. It's not like that.. gore for gore's sake. It's a good movie... but it's true that it's fundamentally a haunted house movie.<<

About the movie "Alien"...

I went to see it because the writer, Dan O'Bannon, attended and graduated from my local community college. So there was a free showing of it in the large auditorium.

Remember, that I have panic-anxiety, so high-stress situations are not the best for it. With that in mind, seat me at this movie and imagine:

Director Ridley Scott used lots of "false starts" where you thought the bad guy or alien, was going to jump out, all along the corridor. At one point a cat jumped out and I almost jumped out of my skin. Unfortunately, then I wasn't ready when the alien actually appeared (in true pop out and grab mode), and I screamed along with a number of other people in the theater. Those double sets of teeth really freaked me out, one set shooting out from inside the other set at breakneck speed.

Multiple times the director sets the suspense setting, you creep along, waiting for the "bad" pop out, but often, you get false starts. The facehugger had me hiding behind my chair it moved so fast and fastened itself to John Hurt's face so fast...More screams, and my heart was racing faster and faster...

Then just when you think John Hurt's character is going to be ok, not realizing that the awful facehugger had planted an "egg" of sorts inside of him, suddenly, just like this thread's title says, suddenly, out pops the alien from his chest...hatching so to speak....

I almost hyperventilated and had to be taken outside. I saw the end later at a friend's house on video, only because I couldn't stand not to see the end of something.

I had nightmares for weeks. Then years later some friends managed to drag me to Alien II, despite my protests. I had been reading Alien II, because I was curious about the storyline, but avoiding seeing the movie...but friend begged just enough... I figured ok, I know what to expect this time.

Not so. I screamed again, this time in a real movie theater, and up in the air went my soda and my friend's popcorn. And what goes up, definitely comes down. They never dragged me to another Alien movie again, trust me.

I read Alien III, but never saw it, and I don't think I've read Alien 4 either. Just not my cup of tea in a movie. Like Ben said, I don't enjoy a movie much when my adrenaline is pumping and my heart is racing and I can't breathe...that to me is just too much excitement.

Brenda