[IWE] "pop!" goes the chest

Wade Bowmer iwe@warhead.org.uk
Wed, 22 Oct 2008 21:03:57 +1000

------=_Part_14566_33475867.1224673437135

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 8:03 AM, Nightowl <lightspeedowl@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I had nightmares for weeks. Then years later some friends managed to drag
> me to Alien II, despite my protests. I had been reading Alien II, because I
> was curious about the storyline, but avoiding seeing the movie...but friend
> begged just enough... I figured ok, I know what to expect this time.

I saw Aliens (aka Alien 2) only on TV. In fact, I saw it several times
before I saw any of the others. I've always regarded it as a really really
good action/monster movie. But I'd only see it in a cinema now I know what
happens!
Alien (1) -- again only on TV -- I found to be a much more studied movie: I
knew what a whole heap of these things could do, so it was in interesting
intellectual exercise to see what just one would be like. :-) That the first
was so minimalist probably gave the second so much room to be as good as it
was.

> Not so. I screamed again, this time in a real movie theater, and up in the
> air went my soda and my friend's popcorn. And what goes up, definitely comes
> down. They never dragged me to another Alien movie again, trust me.

I've seen only brief parts of Aliens 3 and 4 -- and was not impressed. OTOH.
I saw Alien versus Predator on TV the other week and I thought it was a
pretty good romp through both franchises, although there were a few places
where they 'bent the rules'. It was clearly targeted at those who knew both
creatures already.

Wade.