[Xml-bin] Some central design issues

Peter Jacobi pj@walter-graphtek.com
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:05:49 +0200

Dear All, (someone on the list already?)

I want to list some issues, central to my requirements.

1. Try to jump on an existing approach

If one of the projects underway, especially MEPEG7 BiM or ASN.1/XML
are nearly good enough, we should try to influence these, to get the
remaining 5% instead of starting all over.

2. Don't extend XML

binXML should be an alternate external representation of the (PSV) XML-
Infoset, so all XML Recs are readily applicable and it is possible to
roundtrip binXML -> textXML -> binXML.

Please list your extension requirements, I'm quite sure they can all be
represented by standard PSVI, if some work is invested.

For example binary content can seen as an alternate external
representation of base64binary. When accessing with standard DOM
functions, it will be seen base64 encoded.

3. Seekability

This would be key benefit of a binary external representation. We should
look how its done in MPEG7.

So, that's enough for a first message,

Regards,
Peter Jacobi