[Xml-bin] Some central design issues

Stefan Zier Stefan.Zier@syntion.com
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:31:39 +0200

> Dear All, (someone on the list already?)

Sure am ;-)

> If one of the projects underway, especially MEPEG7 BiM or ASN.1/XML
> are nearly good enough, we should try to influence these, to get the
> remaining 5% instead of starting all over.

I think we all agree on that one. Has anyone gotten any URLs or papers von
BiM yet?

> binXML should be an alternate external representation of the (PSV) XML-
> Infoset, so all XML Recs are readily applicable and it is possible to
> roundtrip binXML -> textXML -> binXML.

I have to agree on this one, too. Every well-formed XML doc should be
representable in the binary notation and vice versa.

> This would be key benefit of a binary external representation. We should
> look how its done in MPEG7.

There is another requirement that might need a different orders of things:
fast parsability through SAX or DOM (where either of those two might have
different orders).

Stefan Zier
Software Developer
Syntion AG - http://www.syntion.com