[Xml-bin] An attempt to sort things out [long]

Al Snell alaric@alaric-snell.com
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:49:07 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Stephen D. Williams wrote:

> > I'm proud to say that Olivier's invitied me to join the ASN.1 <-> XML
> > working group :-)
> Have fun!

I'll try. Still got to wade through some political paperwork, though!

> As I've mentioned, this is what I am interested in.  Further, throwing
> together a static binary structure is easy.  It's making a flat but
> modifiable format that's interesting to me.  Deltas and overlays are
> also important.

It's not *that* easy to throw together a static binary format... defining
it, yes, but getting it implemented in all the important places (Perl,
Python, Java, C, C++, ...) is a little harier.

> I could use help thinking of how to represent the latter.  I'll request
> it in a separate message.

The in-place editing thing is awkward, and there *is* demand for a format
that doesn't have to worry about it; I'm still not highly convinced about
allowing in-place alteration to start off with. Votes?

> sdw

ABS

--
                               Alaric B. Snell