[Xml-bin] Status of projects?

Al Snell alaric@alaric-snell.com
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 11:01:51 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Stefan Zier wrote:

> How's everybody else doing?

I've put my original idea of a serialised stream of SAX events on hold
since others are working on that already, and am concentrating on the
ASN.1/XML stuff.

It's going well - the big meeting is in Bangalore, India, at the end of
August, but for now we're throwing ideas around on a mailing list to
decide what areas we'll need to cover at the meeting. The potential is
going to be amazing... using an encoding like PER that assumes the
receiver has ful knowledge of the schema in use and as such sends no
redundant information (designed for performance-criticial applications),
an XML document will be squeezed down such that, for example, an attribute
with four possible values will be encoded in just two bits. The result
will still be amenable to gzip if bandwidth is more crucial than CPU power
and memory, since it will contain all the CDATA as-is, and CDATA generally
compresses well.

ABS

--
                               Alaric B. Snell