[Box Backup-dev] Win32 build

Martin Ebourne boxbackup-dev@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 03 Feb 2006 01:40:36 +0000

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 00:03 +0000, Chris Wilson wrote:
> > Does the mingw build use the same build system as the unix platforms -
> > are the extra build hacks only for msvc?
>
> Yes, that's right.
>
> > If so and it produces a working win32 binary then is there any reason to
> > support two platforms for win32?
>
> Only that the MinGW build requires Cygwin, which some developers are
> opposed to or just not used to. If we drop support for MSVC and Cygwin
> then we will likely lose the support of Nick and Charles.

Nick seemed in favour of building native win32 binaries under cygwin
when it was discussed before:

http://lists.warhead.org.uk/pipermail/boxbackup/2004-December/000956.html

Of course, he has the right to change his mind. :)

The message seems to have not been threaded properly, but it started
here:

http://lists.warhead.org.uk/pipermail/boxbackup/2004-December/000901.html

Building under the current system using cygwin doesn't even require
mingw - you can also build using VC as discussed in the thread.

As to requiring cygwin, you don't need the whole thing, only 4-5
packages which is not too onerous. Compared to the pain of two totally
independent build systems this seems to make good sense.

Cheers,

Martin.