[Box Backup] Some weirdness with bbackupctl

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 20:14:50 +0000

On 6 Dec 2004, at 17:20, Marco Bartholomew wrote:

> I was having some trouble with a machine running the client daemon.
> It had been running properly, but for some reason, my nightly cron job
> (bbackupctl -q sync) quit working.  The cron log showed the job
> running, and I had deliberately uploaded some files to one of the
> backed-up directories to test, but the log on the server side showed
> no attempt at a login by the client.
>
> I discovered that issuing the command directly wasn't working either,
> unless I issued it twice in succession.
>
> After doing a stop/start on the client daemon, it appears to be
> working properly now.
>
> Has anybody had a similar problem?
>
> This was in Linux (2.4 kernel) using the 0.08PLUS2 release (for both
> bbstored and bbackupd.)

It's difficult to see what's happening without seeing logs for the
client and server, as well as the client configuration. Was the daemon
doing anything? Using any processor time?

I can think of two possible reasons why this might be:

1) You've got the client in lazy mode, and the files you created
weren't old enough to be uploaded by the sync. Since nothing was
changed, bbackupd didn't connect to the server.

2) You added a new BackupLocation, but forgot to restart bbackupd. When
you restarted it, the changes took effect. The configuration file is
not reloaded on each sync.

I could be wrong though, but it's difficult to tell from your
description.

I would be interested to know if anyone else had similar issues.

Ben