[Box Backup] Strange behaviour: bug or feature?

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:29:54 +0000

On 19 Jan 2005, at 21:05, Yannis Haralambous wrote:

> Hi,
>
> here is what happens in my backup: when I started it everything went
> OK, but then I had a server breakdown and it tool me about a day to
> relaunch the server. After having relaunched the server I did a
> "bbackupquery usage quit" and found that 1828.1 Mb are used on the
> server. This evening I did this query once again and the amount is the
> same. I checked the size of the directory where I keep the backup on
> the server and it is constantly growing. Right now it contains more
> than 2210 Mb. When I do a "top" on the client, I see "bbackupd"
> running, when I do a "top" on the server I see "bbstored" running. But
> bbackupquery always gives me the same results as if nothing changes,
> both the usage as the list of files...
>
> What is going on?

The most likely explanation is that old versions of your files are
being kept. Using bbackupquery, type

   ls -rotds

This will list everything on the store. You should see files marked as
old ("o" in the flags) and deleted ("X" in the flags).

Old versions and deleted files are only removed when the size of the
store reaches the soft limit, after which the size will hover at just
under the soft limit. I assume you have the limit set at a size greater
than 2210Mb.

Would this explain the behaviour you are seeing?

You can adjust the limits using bbstoreaccounts on the server.

Ben