[Box Backup] Danish and other special chars

Gary boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 07:46:43 -0800 (PST)

A follow-up on previously-reported issues:

> > 2. I have not confirmed deletion (newly excluded, PREVIOUSLY uploaded,
> >    folders/files should be deleted at the end of a run) since I was not
> >    able to complete a backup (see below).

I confirmed that during subsequent runs, thus we can probably consider regex working fine for the
Win32 release.

> There does not appear to be any logging of keepalives, unless you compiled
> the source in debug mode (I did not). I have added some for testing
> purposes.

I recall I had an explicit GetAlive() logging added to my old 0.9 code, to make sure that
monitor/test diffing intervals are correct. The call has been either taken out, or is not getting
called.

> > 4. Backup of a large file fails with the following log:
> >
> > 2/8/2006	11:49:16 AM	bbackupd	Error	None	4	N/A	SOMESERVER	: Exception caught (Connection
> > TLSWriteFailed (Probably a network issue between client and server.) 7/33), reset state and
> > waiting to retry....
> > 2/8/2006	11:49:16 AM	bbackupd	Error	None	4	N/A	SOMESERVER	: SSL err during Write:
> > error:1409F07F:SSL routines:SSL3_WRITE_PENDING:bad write retry.
> > 2/8/2006	11:49:16 AM	bbackupd	Information	None	4	N/A	SOMESERVER	: Send
> > SetClientStoreMarker(0x40c4b46c15b00).
> > 2/8/2006	11:48:58 AM	bbackupd	Information	None	4	N/A	SOMESERVER	: Sending stream, size
> uncertain.
> > 2/8/2006	11:48:58 AM	bbackupd	Information	None	4	N/A	SOMESERVER	": Send
> > StoreFile(0xf,0x40c266d6d1ac0,0x611a54e7e9df0ca9,0x26d7,""seven.hundred.mb.file.dat"")."
> > 2/8/2006	11:38:31 AM	bbackupd	Information	None	4	N/A	SOMESERVER	: Receiving stream, size
> 937660.
> > 2/8/2006	11:38:30 AM	bbackupd	Information	None	4	N/A	SOMESERVER	: Receive Success(0x26d7).
> > 2/8/2006	11:38:30 AM	bbackupd	Information	None	4	N/A	SOMESERVER	": Send
> > GetBlockIndexByName(0xf,""seven.hundred.mb.file.dat"")."

A side-note: after re-running with my 0.9 Cygwin code, the problem was gone immediately, and the
backup completed successfully. This would imply that bbstored and backup repo are all right, and
this is either a 0.10 Win32 -specific error, or something elusive to happen unpredictably in all
releases.

> I'm not sure either. Can you use a packet sniffer to see if the server
> resets the connection before, or during, uploading of the diff?

Hmmmm, I am not sure how to get that done, since I am not sure the connection is getting entirely
dropped. After all, the server actually logs something at the same moment.

> Interesting, but I don't expect people to switch between Cygwin and native
> builds often, so this is a low priority for me.

I think this will happen if you switch between any UNIX client and Win32 client.

> > d. Every Windows EventLog entry reads: "The description for Event ID ( 4
> > ) in Source ( bbackupd ) cannot be found. The local computer

> Probably, but I have no idea how to do that, can you advise?

(from a Cygwin logging discussion:)

"Whenever an event is written to the event log, the API also requires an event code, which is
technically a resource ID inside the application:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/debug/base/reportevent.asp

Whenever the Event Log Viewer tries to decipher the event, it first queries the application for
the corresponding resource.  The rest of the event data is supposed to be the detail information
for the event specified by the resource.

Many applications (e.g., HCL Inetd) do not bother to define the resources, and store all the event
information in the data.  Thus, the Event Log Viewer's query fails, and it displays the message
<The description for Event ID...> (with the event data that *is* present)."

Gary