[Box Backup] speed up initial sync?

Martin Ebourne boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 08:48:26 +0100

On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 22:33 -0700, Dave Thomas wrote:
> I am experiencing very long initial sync times with box backup that I suspect
> is due to the extremely high number of small files we use in our application.
> Its not unusual for us to have well over 1 million small files in a dir
> (yea...we need to...don't ask..its some crazy legacy stuff) and while backup
> times have always been long due to all those small files I am seeing initial
> sync times over well over 24 hours with box backup on some of these systems.
> I can deal with the long initial sync times of these systems if I have to,
> but anything longer than 12 hours is eating into 'work time', so I would like
> to speed things up if possible.
>
> My question: Short of tossing cubic dollars at new hardware, is there anyway I
> can speed up the initial sync process?

Hack code? Cheaper than new hardware. :)

This is a known problem with current versions of Box which has been
covered on the list before. One day it will get addressed, but I don't
think any of the contributors have experienced this so there's not been
a lot of incentive to fix it.

Patches welcome. :)

Cheers,

Martin.