[Box Backup] local backups really slow

Ben Summers boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 28 Sep 2006 12:32:13 +0100

Box Backup was intended to run over slow network connections, so I
didn't bother spending much time optimising the protocol. It does
send a lot of queries and blocks until they're answered, unlike rsync
which streams. I'd like to address this in the forthcoming version,
but in the meantime, that's a limitation.

Anyway, this means that if you have lots of small times, latency
really kills the transfer speed, even over loopback. If you're on a
single processor, there are lots of context switches. However, if
you're backing up multi-Gb files, I would expect it to be relatively
close to rsync.

Ben