[Box Backup] Backup File Order

Martin Ebourne boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Thu, 13 Sep 2007 23:03:43 +0100

On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 08:18 +0000, Johann Glaser wrote:
> I would like to generalize this. Probably somebody needs some files
> backed up last, or even both. So, I propose to offer directives to
> specify files/directories in a user-defined order which are then backed
> up in the that order.

This all sounds like a considerable amount of complexity (not a good
thing in backup software) for very little gain.

I also doubt it really would be all that useful.

In the case of subversion although it is recommended to backup in that
order it doesn't really matter. It's highly unlikely the current file
will get ahead in that way, you'd need a very active repository I
suspect to cause that, and a fair bit of bad luck.

Even if it does get ahead it's manually repairable, the current file is
just text and can be fixed. There's no danger of ending up with a
corrupted unrepairable repository.

And it's not even manual any more, svnadmin recover will now fix this
completely automatically anyway:

http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2007-03/0061.shtml

Cheers,

Martin.