[Box Backup] Restoring a corrupted archive?

Magnus Homann boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sat, 26 Apr 2008 19:02:10 +0200

Hi!

My name is Magnus, and my disk crashed. :-)

At least, fsck -f -y is spending a lot of time working on it, not
finished yet. It's a ext3 on Ubuntu.

Luckily, i have run boxbackup on it. :-)
Unfortunately, the bbstored is writing to the same disk. :-(
Luckily, I rsync every night the files written by bbstored to a remote
server. :-)
Unfortunately, the crash was probably while rsyncing. :-(

So, I have a local disk with a messed up file system, backed up to the
same file system - yes, I know... - and then rsynced off-site.

What can bbstored do with an archive that is partly rsynched from a
newer version?

(As I wrote, the fsck was finished, lots of files gone).

Can I check if the bbstored archive is consistent on my local disk? Can
I recreate the remote archive that may/may not be consistent?

What non-.intrusive checks can I make, can I start bbstored in a
'read-only' mode?

In short, I need help. :-)

Thanks for any pointers,
Magnus