[Box Backup] Restoring a corrupted archive?

Chris Wilson boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Sat, 26 Apr 2008 18:14:44 +0100 (BST)

Hi Magnus,

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008, Magnus Homann wrote:

> My name is Magnus, and my disk crashed. :-)

Sorry to hear that. How long have you been a disk crasher for?</dca
meeting>

> Luckily, i have run boxbackup on it. :-) Unfortunately, the bbstored is
> writing to the same disk. :-( Luckily, I rsync every night the files
> written by bbstored to a remote server. :-) Unfortunately, the crash was
> probably while rsyncing. :-(

I think you're probably in luck.

> So, I have a local disk with a messed up file system, backed up to the
> same file system - yes, I know... - and then rsynced off-site.
>
> What can bbstored do with an archive that is partly rsynched from a
> newer version?

It should just work after you run "bbstoreaccounts check fix" to correct
any problems with the account. I hope you have a copy of the encryption
key :-)

> Can I check if the bbstored archive is consistent on my local disk? Can I
> recreate the remote archive that may/may not be consistent?

Just run "bbstoreaccounts check fix" on it as well.

> What non-.intrusive checks can I make, can I start bbstored in a
> 'read-only' mode?

Unfortunately there is no such mode at the moment. I can see how it might
be useful, particularly to disable housekeeping.

You will need read/write access to check and fix the account, but you can
probably remount the filesystem read-only after that and run bbstored on
it. If not, let me know how it fails and I'll try to come up with a quick
hacky patch to fix it.

\ _/_/_/_//_/___/ | We are GNU : free your mind & your software |