[Box Backup] Simple question about usage info

Matt Brown boxbackup@fluffy.co.uk
Fri, 30 May 2008 14:00:23 +0100

Hi Chris,

> I don't think that should ever happen (a file being old and deleted
> at the
> same time), can you show us some examples and do you have any idea
> how it
> came about?

Not exactly the same issue, but I did have a scare yesterday. A client
called me to advise a file has become corrupted on the server, and
asked me to restore from a backup.

I logged in and ran bbackupquery, got to the directory I needed and
issued a ls -odt so I could see all the old files - to my horror,
there was none for this particular file :( Luckily as a safety
precaution I had an Rsync on the same server running locally to
another HDD which carries around 7 days of changes - so I was able to
get the file back.

Q is ... how much overhead should you allow for Old and Deleted files
- as in this case the file was not deleted. What is the priority
Deleted files ? Can you reserve a certain amount of space for Old Files

I am reviewing all the sites today to see what Old and Deleted files
usage is - just to cover myself :)

The current stats (after increasing the space) are now...

          Used    30825.9Mb  54% *********************
     Old files       41.4Mb   0%
Deleted files     7212.4Mb  12% *****
   Directories       36.7Mb   0%