[Box Backup] How to move boxbackup store to a larger disk?

David H Kaufman boxbackup@boxbackup.org
Fri, 12 Sep 2008 16:09:35 -0400

I am running boxbackup 0.10 on Gentoo Linux with ext3 filesystems. My
backup store is on an external disk, but before I move that disk to a
less-accessible place, I would like to upgrade the disk. So I did what I
usually do when moving filesystem partitions around:

dd if=/dev/old-disk1 of=/dev/new-disk1
fsck -f /dev/new-disk1
resize2fs /dev/new-disk1

At the end of which I had a happy, larger EXT3 filesystem on new-disk. But
boxbackup doesn't like something I did - I ran:

bbstoreaccounts check <id>

and got a HEAP of these:

File ID 61321 has different container ID, probably moved
File ID 61a01 has different container ID, probably moved
File ID 61b01 has different container ID, probably moved
File ID 61ae4 has different container ID, probably moved
File ID 61ae5 has different container ID, probably moved
File ID 61ae6 has different container ID, probably moved
File ID 61ae7 has different container ID, probably moved
File ID 61ae8 has different container ID, probably moved

Then it said:

Phase 3, check root...
Phase 4, fix unattached objects...
Phase 5, fix unrecovered inconsistencies...
Phase 6, regenerate store info...
Store account checked, no errors found.

I was hoping that "fix" meant it would fix those container IDs, but
rerunning "bbstoreaccounts check" reported the same errors. (At least, it
was a heap of errors - I didn't verify that they were exactly the same
ones.) So then I ran:

bbstoreaccounts check <id> fix

but rerunning "bbstoreaccounts check" again reported lots of "different
container ID" problems.

My real question: what is the right way to upgrade to a larger disk,
without throwing away my existing boxbackup store?

Thanks very much,
David