[IWE] Question about Shutting down Linux blind

Nightowl iwe@warhead.org.uk
Tue, 30 Jan 2007 18:25:52 -0800 (PST)

Hi all,

John's monitor is on it's last legs and although we've
ordered a new one, it isn't here yet.

So we have a question about how to shut down Linux KDE
using only the keyboard, and not being able to see
anything on the monitor. (The picture shrinks and
jumps and blurs and fades and more and more of the
buttons used just plain disappear).

John did a quick search on the problem and located
this URL:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?p=2567239#post2567239

However, we are dubious about the Control-Alt Delete
suggestion, and it also claims you have to navigate to
"Turn Off Computer" which he may not be able to see.

He's concerned the screen will completely be unusable
some morning and he will be unable to shut it down, so
we are wondering if there is any way to shut Linux KDE
down while completely blind, using ONLY the keyboard
and no visuals.

Thanks

Brenda

TV dinner still cooling?